Monday, June 29, 2009

Issue No. 2 - February/ March 2008




Though I had originally planned on producing a zine issue every month, I immediately fell into a creative lapse and the entire month of February (though in my defense, it is a short month) passed me by without so much as a cover design. By early March I became determined to put out a sequel issue, that would not only improve upon the content of the first issue of Ubbo, but provide an overall better product for a reader.
For starters, I remembered to allow myself a quarter-inch margin to compensate for the copier. I also attempted to provide better cover and inside page artwork. I lost the book reviews and instead chose to add in some political commentary and a second page to the short fiction section. The end result lacks that whiny teenager rebellion feel to it I think, and that's not a bad thing, though am guilty of waxing political a little, as this issue was produced around the name time that the Governor Spitzer scandal was breaking news everywhere.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
UBBO Zine Issue No. 2 February/ March 2008



Inside Cover: The inside cover artwork this time featured a mummy reaching over its sarcophagus lid, and to be honest, is just a better attempt at the zombie from the first issue.

Letter Page: Oh heeey reader...

Dear Reader, 3/2008
Who says global warming is real? ONE day of snowfall
the entire winter is not a sign of anything, right?
Enjoy this issue, sorry for the delay. We're
all doomed. - Z.A.

Fortune: Don't expect romantic attachments to be strictly logical or rational!

Page Three: Here we see some political ranting occurring...

What kind of a world spends
more time reporting on prostitutes
than on a war that has killed 4,000
people? Our culture is fucked. Resist
the bullshit. Demand answers, truth,
and NOT distractions.

Page Four: Music review...

You should listen to...
Captain Bringdown and the Buzzkillers

Tearing up the Southwest U.S. this energetic band mixes loud horns and fast tempos with gravely sung lyrics a la Rancid. Check them out on Sock Hop Records.

Page Five: This story excerpt is more reminiscent of a hard-boiled crime drama, or Frank Miller's Sin City. I like it very much. Below you can read the entry just as it appears in the zine.



Page Seven: This final page returns to the D.I.Y. projects presented in the first issue. In this case, the shift is to homemade weaponry.

D.I.Y. Shuriken
Be a ninja!
  • Scrap Metal
  • Pliers/ Tin snips
  • Hammer & Nail
  1. Any flat, even material will do. Trace your design with a pencil.
  2. Use pliers or tin snips to cut it out. keep the edges clean and pointed.
  3. Punch a hole through the middle for balance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That's it for issue two. I enjoyed it because I felt the story section really stood out as a finely tuned feature of the zine. While the music review was a bit lax, and the political rant was a bit... stupid, I still enjoyed the layout and components of this issue, and felt that it was a vast improvement over my first attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment